Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Dad

Early this morning I lost my Father.  My children lost their grandfather.  My mother lost her husband of nearly 50 years.  As a human being, I hurt.  His time on this world was too short.  I beg everyone that has loved ones that smoke heavily and regularly to talk with those loved ones about the health benefits of quitting.  Work with them.  Help them.  It will catch up with them.  The only thanks I can give about the entire situation is that I am thankful he went peacefully and quickly.  

The last 7 days have all been a blur.  One thing that became clear as we reached out to people and as others reached out to us is that many folks have fond memories and stories of my Dad.  Be it dating back to my childhood or as recently as now, being a man of 45 years old.  

He worked for nearly 50 years at Bastian Tire Sales as the Retread Foreman.  The man worked until he literally could no longer medically do so.  He gave his body hell, until it could go no more.  I know from personal experience he was always willing to give a young guy a chance to work while also giving a guy who had pervious struggles in life a chance to earn a living again.  He was pretty blind to past mistakes or lack of experience.  My first "real" job was given to me by my Dad.  He called me 3 days before graduating high school (1996) asking me if I wanted a job.  I said sure.  I am where I am today because of that beginning.  I have never lost sight of that.

Growing up I was able to go into work with my Dad on many Saturdays.  I was able to hang with him.  I was able to hang out with his crew.  I'm sure most places nowadays would frown on a chubby, curly haired kid running around a hot, heavy, dirty work place.  Looking back, I loved it.  After work we may have found ourselves at a local watering hole where I would be treated to a burger, fries and a RC. Those burgers and fries looked so big back then...

No one in life is perfect.  My Dad is no exception to this.  There were times as a kid I would knock you down if you said the wrong thing about my Dad.  There were times as a adult I would acknowledge his shortcomings during conversation.  I loved him regardless.  I always will.

I feel like I have much more to say but my hurt takes over.  For now I close with, until we meet again Dad.  Rest easy.  I love you.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

See what we are spending our money on! To see more details, click here.
Locations of visitors to this page